Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Energy is a Good Thing

One of the best NSV's that I take for granted a lot is the increased energy I've had since surgery. My baseline is just so much more active than it used to be and I love it. I'm taking fewer naps, I'm getting up earlier in the morning and feeling rested, and I'm just generally getting more done. It's little things. It's actually not being too lazy to water the plants on my porch, because it's so hard to fill up the watering can and take it out there. It's actually planting *more* plants, both outside an in that require maintenance. It's staining my pool deck, it's repainting my outdoor dining furniture. It's making phone calls! Man, this is a big one. I generally hate calling people and I will put it off and put it off-- well, having more energy means that I don't put it off quite as long and get things done. In fact, yesterday I called the handyman who I'd paid to tear down and haul off the wood play structure in our yard to remind him that he needed to get his butt back here and actually haul it off as promised because I didn't want it in my yard anymore. Now that it's gone, I plan to go out today and start raking up the pebbles. I plan to use the area for a raised vegetable garden, so the plan is to get it ready this year for planting next spring as I imagine it is really a little late to try to start something in June/July.

It's funny that with that increased energy, I seem to have a drive to take care of my nest and do maintenance things that I've been putting off for a couple of years. What don't I have? Any real spark to exercise. Cozy Coconut asked me how I'm doing on exercise recently. The fact is, I'm not doing any. I was for a while, but after my trip to Vegas in April I've not done a single thing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I have two dogs that love to take walks. I have a really nice treadmill and a spin bike in my basement. I really enjoy Zumba and Yoga. Yet I do nothing. My goal for this summer is to start some kind of exercise routine, even if it is a laughable amount. I just need to get some habit going.

One thing that isn't a victory: my body is not used to sleeping without 100 extra pounds. I bought a very nice, moderately expensive mattress set two years ago to help with my bad back. It was amazing. Yet now that I'm over 100 lbs down, I ache and hurt when I wake up and can't seem to get comfortable at night. This is particularly true of sleeping on my stomach, which seems to contort my shoulders into a weird position that leaves me really in pain when I first get up. Also, my back is almost worse in terms of sleeping. My body hasn't quite figured out how to sleep without the extra padding. Do you all think a body pillow would help?

No comments:

Post a Comment